Arthritis is an ancient disease. Archeologists have discovered skeletons of the first humans, with evident cases of arthritis. But modern medicine has not been able to detect the reason why more than 100 million people around the world are affecting this condition. Though, there is clear evidence that humans have been using Herbal Remedies for arthritis pain for several thousands of years. Arthritis is a progressive inflammatory condition that occurred when the soft muscles in the joints get inflamed, relentlessly restricting the movement of the joint and thereby causing a lot of pain and discomfort. In older people, who are most vulnerable to this condition, arthritis is the primary cause of immobility. Arthritis is a condition that most people are quite familiar with and so common that it is most likely that you are acquainted with someone who is affected. Arthritis is a degenerative state that affects the joints causing rigorous pain and significantly reducing mobility. In serious cases and if uncared for the effects can be devastating.
Arthritis is classically connected with old age and although most common among the aged; it can affect nearly anybody, but it is rare among young adults and children. Arthritis may not actually be a life-threatening condition but it is a fearful condition because of the extent to which it affects your life. Plain tasks and routines that one usually takes for granted can become pretty a challenge. For instance, arthritis in the hands, wrists or fingers can make working at the computer almost impossible. Despite its debilitating nature, it is still manageable. Arthritis can be managed and controlled to reduce its impact on your life. One needs to be well informed and understand the condition to effectively control and treat the condition very well.
The word 'arthritis' connotes 'inflammation of the joints'. Arthritis is a word derived from two Greek words: athron, meaning joints; and itis, meaning inflammation. It is basically a chronic disease. Arthritis occurs in many forms, the most regular one being osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease which occurrence generally is in the older age group.
Rheumatoid arthritis is a grave disease which is not limited to not only the joints of the fingers, wrists, hips, knees, and feet, but also the muscles, tendons and other tissues of the body.
When arthritis affects the joints of the body, they got swollen, painful, deformed, and stiff and ultimately the joint loses an array of motion and the pain becomes excruciating. There are many types of arthritis, the most common one is Osteoarthritis, which causes a slow wear and tear of the cartilage on the tip of each bone, then they start rubbing against one another injuring the articulation and scar tissue grows out to deform the area.
Ibuprofen (Advil) or naproxen (Aleve), and even other more potent prescription drugs, cause ruthless gastrointestinal problems, like bleeding ulcers, acidosis, stomach pain, and they obstruct the synthesis of collagen, which is vital for the formation of cartilage. If cartilage is not renewing itself, more harm is going to be inflicted on the joints. For those reasons, herbal remedies are the best solution treating for arthritis.
1. Steam baths and massage once a week are very helpful.
2. Take 10-15 grams of camphor and 200-250 grams of mustard oil and combine in a glass bottle. And keep this bottle in the sun until the camphor gets dissolved appropriately. Massage the affected part every day with it. It is an excellent herbal remedy for leg pain.
3. A red flannel should be wrapped up around the pain area.
4. Use of coconut also helps in curing the leg and knee pains.
5. To get rid of the general weakness of the body; a well-balanced diet including all the three basic food groups is recommended.
6. Eating 4-5 walnuts on an empty stomach in morning provided instant relief from leg pain in a short time.
7. Intake of cod liver oil assists in curing all kinds of leg pains and the general weakness of the body.
8. 2-3 teaspoonful of fenugreek powder in morning water is wonderfully useful.
9. Eat Alfalfa or take alfalfa capsules. It is so high in minerals required for bones’ formation.
11. Take chondroitin sulfate 700 mg per day to strengthen joints and ligaments. Use it in tablet form.
12. Use Vitamin E to protect and improve joint movement.
13. Bogbean is an aquatic herb. It is a very effective and special herb for rheumatoid arthritis and Osteoarthritis. Bogbean is an anti-inflammatory herb. Note that this herb cleans the urinary tract so drink a lot of water.
14. Boswellia has anti-inflammatory properties similar to Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAID-Advil, Aleve, Tylenol etc.) but this herb has no side effects and does not cause gastrointestinal bleeding. It enhances blood circulation to the joints, relieves pain, inflammation, and stiffness.
15. Ginger is the master killer of Arthritis pain, superior to any NASID. It can be used directly on the affected area or taken orally, either way, it takes care of pain, inflammation, stiffness, bursitis and perfectly tendinitis.
16. Epsom Salt is rich in magnesium. Magnesium is vital for bone growth and it also regulates the body's pH level. A shortage of magnesium reduces the capacity of the body to absorb and utilize calcium and phosphorus, which are the two basic bone-building minerals.
The following herbal remedies using Epsom Salt can be taken to reduce the symptoms connected with arthritis.
NOTE: If you have heart or kidney disease, consult your doctor before using these herbal remedies. Excessive magnesium can lead to diarrhea, nausea, cramps, muscle weakness, and heart abnormalities.
i. Mix 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and 3 tablespoons of Epsom Salt in a pint of warm water and use one teaspoon both the morning and at night.
ii. Put three cups of Epsom Salt in hot bath water. The magnesium in the Epsom Salt is assimilated by the body and it soothes and relaxes the stiff joints and muscles.
17. Recent studies have revealed that Cinnamon is an extraordinary natural treatment for arthritis pain. Basically add half one teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a tablespoon of honey each morning before breakfast, mix it together and take the mixture. Repeat this each day for a month. Results should be obvious within the first week.
18. Turmeric is a common spice in Indian cuisine that has been used to reduce inflammation for hundreds of years in Ayurvedic medicine. Taking 500mg to 1000mg Turmeric capsules three times in a day, individual will experience significant relief from osteoarthritis pain.