Meat Pie is a tasty snack that can be sold on street corners, in pubs, and even at parties. This delectable snack can be enjoyed at home because it is so easy to produce.The enticing taste of seasoned meat lying inside of this treat-meat pie stimulates your taste buds as you bite into the flour.
As a girl, Sundays were always exciting for me because it meant my mother would go out and buy meat pies after church. When I was old enough to buy them myself, I had meat pies at least twice a week. Meatpies are a common dish served at parties and restaurants in Ghana. I don't think a job is done until the meat pie is served. I believe it should be designated as Ghana's and West Africa's national dish.
My recipe was passed down to me from a neighbour who doesn't weigh her ingredients. I had to pause and calculate as I went along when making these. My pastry is made with margarine rather than butter. You won't even miss the butter because the pastry is so delicious.
When making pastry, keep the following in mind:
1. using cold margarine or butter.
2. Always use a soft touch and take care when handling pastry.
3. Knead the dough only long enough to bring it together; over-kneading can allow gluten to form in the flour, resulting in rough, greasy pastry.
For Filling(Inside the pastry)
1. 1 tablespoon sunflower oil.
2. 300g minced meat.
3. 1 medium onion.
4. 1/2 teaspoon tomato puree.
5. 2 teaspoon all purpose seasoning.
6. 1 small maggi (stock) cube.
7. salt to taste.
8. 1 large green pepper, chopped in little cubes.
1. 400g (3 1/3 cups) self raising flour.
2. 255g ( 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon) margarine or butter, cold
3. pinch of salt.
4. 60ml (1/4 cup) cold water.
5. 1 egg, whisked.
1. Minced beef, onions, seasoning, and chopped green peppers make up the filling. Add a little oil to a big frying pan and allow it to heat up. Enable the mince and onions to brown in the pan. Add half a teaspoon of tomato puree, seasoning, and salt to taste.
2. Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside to cool. Add the chopped green peppers.
1.In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour and salt together.
2. Toss the flour with the margarine. Using your hands, rub it in. Pour in all of the cold water at once and put the pastry together with your fingertips.
3. Knead the dough very gently on a lightly floured work surface.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Fahrenheit/Celcius.
2. Greaseproof paper can be used to line a baking tray.
3. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the dough. Rolling should be performed in a forward motion only, with quick, sharp strokes and light, even pressure. Roll the pastry in a clockwise direction.
4. Cut circles out of the dough and fill each one with a quarter cup of mincemeat.
5.Fold the dough in half to form a semicircle. Dip a pastry brush in water and dampen the edges of the dough circle before pinching the sides together with a fork. Poke holes in the tops of the meat pies with a fork.
6. Put the pies on a baking sheet.
7. Brush the tops of the meat pies with egg wash before baking for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
8. Your delicious meat pie is ready to be eaten or sold.
Thanks for reading and I hope you would try it at home.
Please like, share and follow me for more updates on recipes.