Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) has released a guideline emboding the procedure that ought to be followed by loanees while repaying their HELB loan through MPesa
"For the self employed HELB beneficiaries, pay your HELB loan at your convenience using Mpesa while the employed HELB beneficiaries can top up the employer deductions through Mpesa payment," HELB stated.
The basic procedure that should be followed is as follows:
1. On the Lipa na MPesa menu, select paybill option.
2. Enter the HELB business number 200800.
3. Enter your National ID number as your account number.
4. Enter the amount you want to pay.
5. Enter your secret pin number.
6. Confirm the transaction and send. Once you are done, the transaction will reflect immediately on your statement.
The major function of HELB is to provide affordable loans, bursaries and scholarships to kenyans pursuing higher education. Helb supports mainly the needy students to access university education. Paying Helb loan is one of the ways of empowering their dreams (the needy students).