Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State says he had “no plan nor reason” to see President Muhammadu Buhari on Tuesday as reported by the Nation Newspaper.
The newspaper wrote Wednesday that the governor on Tuesday took Victor Giadom to Aso Rock Villa in a “failed attempt” to see the President.
However, Governor Fayemi, through his Chief Press Secretary Yinka Oyebode, said on Wednesday he had earlier seen Buhari at noon in the company of Governor Abubakar Atiku Bagudu (Kebbi), Governor Simon Lalong (Plateau) and Governor Badaru Abubakar (Jigawa).
Fayemi disclosed that the chief of staff to the President, Prof Ibrahim Gambari and the attorney general of the federation, Abubakar Malami, were also present at the meeting.
The governor added that he was in the villa later in the afternoon to see Gambari and the State Chief of Protocol (SCOP).
He maintained he was never denied any opportunity to see President Buhari as he did not ask to see the President and neither did he go with Giadom.
The Ekiti State Governor, who is also the chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum, described the Nation’s “exclusive” report as “largely unsubstantiated” and “filled with bile, childish and unexplainable fury”.
“We implore the Nation Newspaper and other media organisations to be wary of unfounded stories wrapped as “exclusives” by disgruntled elements like the Special Adviser to the President on Political Matters, Mr. Babafemi Ojudu who are now masquerading as news sources.”