The pineapple ( Ananas comosus ) is a tropical plant with an edible fruit and the most economically significant plant in the family Bromeliaceae. The pineapple is indigenous to South America , where it has been cultivated for many centuries. In the 20th century. Hawaii was a dominant producer of pineapples, especially for the US; however, by 2016, Costa Rica, Brazil, and the Philippines accounted for nearly one-third of the world's production of Pineapple.
Species: Ananas comosus
THE HEALTH BENEFITS OF PINEAPPLE
All fruits provides the body with the vitamins and minerals needed to stay healthy. Pineapple has a lots of important properties essential in keeping you healthy. The amazing health benefits of Pineapple include the following;
1. CONTAINS A LOT OF NUTRIENTS: Pineapple have an impressive nutritional profile despite the fact that they are low in calories. A cup of Pineapple, which is equivalent to 5.8 ounces or 165 grams contains the following nutrients;
2. BOOST IMMUNITY: Pineapple contain a good percentage of vitamin C, and contain half of the daily recommended value for an adult according to Food and Drug Administration. This helps the immune system to reduce symptoms of common illnesses associated with inflammation and even prevent bacteria and viral infections because of the vitamins C content of pineapple. Also Vitamin C is an antioxidant that can ward off cell damage.
While vitamin C can't necessarily prevent you from getting sick altogether, it can help reduce the severity of numerous conditions, especially those that occur due to chronic inflammation, including arthritis, atherosclerosis and asthma.
3. CONTAINS ANTIOXIDANTS PROPERTIES: Apart from nutrients, pineapple also contain antioxidants properties. Antioxidants are compounds that inhibit oxidation. These properties slows or prevent cell damage caused by free radicals. These free radicals interact with the body's cells and cause damage that is linked to chronic inflammation, a weakened immune system and many harmful diseases. However, pineapple helps to prevent chronic inflammation, a weaken immune system because of it antioxidants properties such as flavonoids and phenolic acids and others.
4. PROMOTE DIGESTION: One of the antioxidants properties of pineapple is called Bromelain. Bromelain present in Pineapple promotes digestion by breaking down the protein molecules. Once protein molecules are broken down, they are more easily absorbed across the small intestine. This can be especially helpful for people with pancreatic insufficiency, a condition in which the pancreas cannot make enough digestive enzymes.
5. PROMOTE STRONGER BONES: Pineapple is rich in manganese which help in strengthening the bones and connective tissue. Manganese may help stave off osteoporosis and helps improve overall bone and mineral density.
Copper also prevents bone resorption-a process where broken-down bone cells and minerals are absorbed by the blood. One cup of pineapple chunks provides 9 percent of your recommended daily value for copper.
6. TREAT SINUSES AND ALLERGY SWELLINGS: The vitamins C and Bromelain present in Pineapple help to reduce mucus in the throat and nose. If an individual is exposed to seasonal allergies, pineapple should be incorporated in his/her diet, along with some extra bromelain supplements to ease up the condition.
7. CONTAINS ANTI- AGEING PROPERTIES: When a person is getting older the skin begins to lose its glow and will begin to develop wrinkles. However, pineapple can make a person look younger and delay cells from dying. The best thing about consuming pineapple juice is that it will make your skin smooth and add that extra layer of youngness over it. You can also add a few drops of lemon to it and this will multiply your benefits of anti-ageing.
8. REDUCED THE RISK OF CANCER: Cancer is a chronic disease characterized by the abnormal growth of cells and it is commonly linked to oxidative stress and chronic inflammation. Several studies have shown that pineapple and its compounds may reduce the risk of cancers. This is because they may minimize oxidative stress and reduce inflammation. Also, the enzyme bromelain, may also help to stimulate cell death in certain cancer cells and aid white blood cell function.
9. HELPS TO REDUCE STRESS: Pineapple has serotonin which is a natural stress buster that keeps your hormones and nerves relaxed. All you need to do is to eat or drink some pineapple juice and this will keep you healthy. When you are stressed you can end up inviting a lot of health problems. Thus, you can beat that stress by drinking just one glass of pineapple juice.
10. PREVENT HYPERTENSION: If you are suffering from hypertension, then make it a point to start eating pineapples regularly as this fruit has high amounts of potassium and lower amounts of sodium that can maintain blood pressure and make you feel relaxed most often. This is the best natural way you can control your blood pressure level.
These 10 benefit of Pineapple mentioned above make the fruits worth consuming. Everyone include little children are advice to consume Pineapple at least ones a day so has to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
if you find this article very interesting, please do well to follow so as to get more health tips.
I made a video about the health benefit of Pineapple. Kindly watch and subscribe to my YouTube channel; Skippo's Fruits Songs so as to watch more interesting videos of the health benefits of different Fruits.