It is no longer news that the Dubai Police Department recently rounded up Ramon Olorunwa Abbas, popularly known as "Hushpuppi", and his friend, Woodberry for offences ranging from money-laundering, cyber fraud, hacking, criminal impersonating, and scamming individuals, banking fraud and identity theft.
Tagged ‘Operation Fox Hunt 2’, Hushpuppi and his gang were said to have defrauded 1,926,400 people to the tune of N168bn.
Both men who are said to be facing close to 20 years in jail for the above listed offences were known to flaunt their ill-gotten wealth on Instagram, while dishing out motivational advises, making a mockery of hardworking and diligent young people who earned their money through legitimate means.
Nevertheless, it was reported that Hushpuppi’s closest ally, Woodberry has fallen sick after spending barely ten days in the prison.
Is the condition of the prison that bad?
Here are 5 things that you should know about the Moshannon Federal Prison where Hushpuppi and Woodberry may likely spend the next 20 years of their lives.
1. The Moshannon Federal Prison is a minimum security prison which is located in Philipsburg, Pennsylvania. It is not only owned and operated by The Geo Group, it is said to house about 1,780 male prisoners.
2. When the prison opened in 2006, it was the only private prison in Pennsylvania which housed nonviolent inmates and other persons who have committed financial crimes or fraud.
3. According to information, it is only authorized persons that can visit the inmates, and even at that, the inmate must have the visitor on the visiting list, else the visitor wouldn’t be granted entry.
4. For every visitor, a secret background check and a follow-up is done before and after the visit.
5. Some of the notable inmates that have spent time in the facility include David Radler who was sentenced to 29 months for mail fraud and Kareem Serageldin, who was released in 2016 after serving 30 months for conspiracy to artificially inflate subprime mortgage bond prices.