Beans are a cheap source of proteins, fibre, antioxidants, complex carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. They have a low content of fat that makes them so good for vegetarians, diabetics and those that are keen on their weight.
Some people may be reluctant to eat beans due to flatulence/gas. Flatulence is caused by a certain type of sugars present in beans called oligosaccharides.
Human beings do not have the enzymes that break down these sugars in the small intestines, therefore, they are passed to the colon where bacteria acts on them through fermentation hence resulting in intestinal gas.
The gases are mostly hydrogen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, oxygen and methane which are all odourless but there is also that little percent of foul-smelling sulphurous gases that form.
How to remove gas from the beans.
1.Soak the beans overnight or at least for 8hrs, then wash and boil.
2.Also, adding baking soda alkalizes the beans and reduces the gas.
-This also cuts down the boiling time.
3. Do a very quick soak under heat for at least two minutes then take off the heat.
Leave the beans to soak in the heated water and then just drain it, wash the beans and cook as usual.
4.Put the beans in a bowl, add boiling water on it and cover the bowl. Leave it to soak for at least 4 hrs before you proceed to cook as usual.
5. Use a lot of onions when cooking beans. Onions prevent flatulence in the stomach. It is carminative.
6 . Chew your beans properly before you swallow. Digestion begins in the mouth.
7. Make sure to eat your beans with plenty of green veges.
8. Do not eat foods that contain a lot of sugar (including fruits) close to the time when you'll eat beans.
9. Drink a lot of water.
10. Increase the amount of beans you eat slowly with time.