A 22-year-old Russell man died of electrocution Monday after touching a wire as he worked on a roof for a firm specializing in solar panel installations.
Ontario’s Ministry of Labour, Training and Skills Development says it is investigating the workplace death of the man, identified yesterday by the Ontario Provincial Police as Michael Attfield. Officers with the Russell and Hawkesbury detachments responded to the St-Andre Rd. scene at approximately 4pm as did paramedics with Prescott-Russell Emergency Medical Services.
CPR was administered before the man was airlifted to hospital, where he was pronounced deceased.
“Sadly, the … [ministry] … was notified on August 10, 2020, of a workplace fatality in Embrun,” the MLTSD says in statement issued today.
“It was reported a worker was performing work on a roof when they came into contact with an electrical wire. The employer is Otter Energy Inc. Ministry inspectors and an engineer attended the scene and issued one order and two requirements to the employees.
The ministry also says it returned to the workplace yesterday to issue two additional orders plus two more requirements on the employer.
The investigation remains ongoing under the direction of the Office of the Chief Coroner and the Ontario Forensic Pathology Service. The Workplace Safety and Insurance Board and Electricity Safety Authority have all been notified as well, according to the MLTSD, which adds: “Our thoughts are with the family and colleagues of the worker who passed away.