Ghana's Oldest Secondary School, Mfantsipim Senior High School Is 145 Years Old Today
Mfantsipim is an all-boys boarding secondary school in Cape Coast, Ghana, established by the Methodist Church on 3 April, 1876 to foster intellectual, moral, and spiritual growth on the then Gold Coast. Its founding name was Wesleyan High School.
In 1905 a graduate of the school, John Mensah Sarbah, founded a rival school named Mfantsipim; the name derives from "Mfantsefo-apem", literally meaning "thousands of Fantes" but actually meaning "the gathering of hosts of scholars for change" originally by the Fantes. In July of the same year, the two schools were merged under the control of the Methodist Church, keeping the name Mfantsipim. John Mensah-Sarbah, who came up with the name "Mfantsipim" stated at the opening of the school that its aim was "to train up God-fearing, respectable and intelligent lads."
Mfantsipim is nicknamed "The School" by its old boys for the fact that several other schools in Ghana such as Prempeh College and Ghana National College were born out of it, as these schools were started with students from Mfantsipim.